Blogazine Subject Areas Pull Down Menu


 
 

These playlists are  constantly updated and videos may be reordered as I see a better placement

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Dateline

Observations From
A Local New Car Show

First, if I were executives with Honda, Audi, Cadillac, and Toyota, I'd be very worried.

Your vehicles suck.   

After having sat in almost anything I could, I have to say that the brands mentioned above had some of the worst vehicles I have ever sat in.    And since these brands have been hyped lately in the automotive press, the only explanation for the hype is bribery.

I tested each car first by sitting in front, adjusting the seat (where possible) to fit me - a 6 foot guy, and then sitting behind the seat adjusted for me.

Let me deal with Honda (and the same applies to Acura)

What an over-rated brand this is.   This company had some of the worst interiors I've seen for the money - materials and overall seating were piss poor - cheap - and not very roomy.   And these were over-priced vehicles.  I found none of them comfortable to sit in and there wasn't much interior room in them either.

Audi - I wanted to love Audi, but honestly, this brand has cars that are just plain dull looking.   I took time to survey the collection of vehicles and there was just boredom all over the display.  

Cadillac - now officially the first company to ever give me a leg cramp sitting in one of their horrific products.   The absolute worst product I have ever sat in (previously a Chevrolet Cobalt) is the Cadillac ATS - this is a four door car with a back seat that has only about three inches from the back of the front seat to the rear seat cushion leading edge.   I tried to sit in this seat and ended up with a Charlie horse in my left calf - I almost could not get out of the car.   I ended up on my side on the back seat cushion and then had a friend help my legs out of the car.   A woman who happened upon this car as I was trying to get out said "there is no room in there is there?"   Duh.

Cadillac's next size up car, the new CTS, had almost as little back seat room.   My legs were PINNED to the back of the front seat.    The nearly $50k sticker price on this car was shocking.

Toyota.   Pure shit.   Everything sucked.   New interiors look like they cam from 1960's Detroit cars.   Even Detroit stopped building that level of shit.   Ugly.  Not one thing of beauty on the floor.   Cramped.   Expensive.  

There were some surprises and that is why  I said there was a changing of the guard.

Hyundai.   This company had consistently superb products.   No Hyundai was as cramped as any Cadillac and the higher up the model lineup, the more roomy the product and no Cadillac could match.   Interior quality was shockingly good - and in overall fit and finish and design execution, superior to Cadillac and Honda and Toyota.   

Nissan.   Absolutely hands down superior to Honda and Toyota at all levels across the board.   The roomiest vehicles sold today are made by Nissan.   The least expensive car on the floor, a Versa, had more usable interior room than any Cadillac on display.   Embarrassing.   When I was cramped in a Honda Civic, the Nissan Sentra was like a limo in the back.   When the Honda Accord was surprisingly not roomy, the Altima was impressive.   Interior design and materials were superb and vastly superior to Honda and Toyota.

Volkswagen - Aside from being the dullest looking vehicles I could see, these cars were roomy and comfortable.   I know Volkswagen quality sucks - you may get 24,000 miles out of them before they have problems, but they were some of the roomiest cars on the floor.  

Ford - if floor traffic and length of time spent waiting to get in a car is any indication, Ford is a winner.   I generally enjoyed every Ford I sat in.   Almost every Ford was vastly superior in build quality and attention to detail than anything Government Motors builds.   I loved the Fusion and the C-Max.   There was no new Mustang to look at :(

Chevrolet - pure shit.   Awful.   The new Impala had an interior color combination that I can best call "Pumpkin orange and black" - it was stomach churning.   The new Malibu was as cramped as any of the Cadillacs.   The new truck (it isn't really new) was vastly oversold by the press.  It felt and looked cheap.   I was shocked.   Had to go sit in an F-150 immediately afterwards - Chevrolet has a lot of work to do - the Ford was hands down nicer.

Buick - total shit EXCEPT for the Regal.   It was nice, but it really isn't a Buick.  It's an Opel rebadged as a Buick with chrome cross-dressing accents.   Everything else Buick built was unattractive and tacky.   The revised 2014 Buick LaCrosse had enough fake wood to make two mobile home interiors - you know the kind - with that wood paneling all over.   It was absolutely horrific - had dog shit brown interior.   It was not as cramped as the Cadillacs, but I wanted to vomit from the garish colors.

BMW - ho hum.  Expensive.  

Infiniti - used to be nice - now they are ugly.

Lexus - so ugly that you could catch rabies looking at them.

Scion - this could possibly be the worst and ugliest and most useless brand of cars ever conceived.    You will never hear of anyone being conceived in the backseat of a Scion.   They are boner killers.

Volvo - these were once nice.   I was not impressed.

Jaguar - too beautiful to sit in.   Expensive as shit.

Land Rover - $70k seems to be the low rent model.   OMG.

Lincoln - they are rebuilding but I'd rather have the Fords.

Chrysler/Dodge/Fiat - these things sell?   It was like going back to the 1990's - so dull and bland.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have just canceled my subscription to Consumer Reports! You have saved me so much time and money. Who needs all those ratings anyway? (Predicted Reliability, Owner Satisfaction, Accident Avoidance, Overall MPGs, Child Safety, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - Consumer Reports is based primarily on its subscribers' data and this is skewed toward imported vehicle responses. Consumer Reports has a rather limited population of data and the real world is quite different.

    My observations are spot on - I didn't just make up what I saw - it is a fact that the vehicles I panned deserved to be panned - they are either highly overrated and are resting on their laurels like Honda, or are being promoted for some agenda that I have no comprehension (like Cadillac) - the fact remains the cars I said were cramped were cramped - the impressions of quality are my own, but that doesn't mean I was wrong. As someone who values frugality and simplicity, I am unmoved by gimmicks like the Honda Civic dashboard which is all gimmick and not easy to use - and it looked cheap.

    And it is true - the hands down most roomy vehicles were made by Nissan and Volkswagen - that is not a lie or made up - I tested these vehicles as I said and if I, as a 6 foot man, cannot sit in the back seat behind another 6 foot man, then the vehicle is useless - dealing with average statistics and measurements and that is the real world. Some vehicles were smartly designed and some were horrific - like most Government Motors sedans.

    ReplyDelete