Blogazine Subject Areas Pull Down Menu


 
 

These playlists are  constantly updated and videos may be reordered as I see a better placement

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

I want to tell you about my friend, Tim.

I live in the Southeastern part of Virginia while Tim lives in Southern Canada, in Ontario for this discussion.

I met Tim online in the heydays of Cyberspace's residence of manhood.   I won't mention the website's name or address, but it was a rare place where gay men could gather and admire the online cast and we could share thoughts.

It was there in the midst of cyberspace that Tim and I struck up an acquaintance and we slowly became friends both online and over the telephone.   For the past seven or so years we've become quite close.

Tim has been insulted online at that cyberspace venue and maligned.    I cringe at the disgusting things said to him.

Tim suffers from bipolar disorder and medications until recently did not provide him the level of continuity of composure that those of us who don't suffer from bipolar disorder take for granted.

Some have misunderstood Tim - he's called people at off hours because his medication did not stop the black outs that he suffers - sometimes the black outs cause him to fall and injure himself; sometimes the blackouts cause him to not realize what he says or who he's called or what he has purchased.    Many who are pretenders to the concept of tolerance have mocked and ridiculed Tim and have held against him situations which he has had no hope of control.

I am a friend - a true friend - as I fully appreciate the heart that Tim has - the compassion - the intelligence - the caring that he shows.   I've understood and recognized when he has those blackouts and have done as a friend does - understood and shown compassion.

Tim did not develop bipolar disorder in a means that was of his own fault or actions; he had a car accident that changed his life forever and made it impossible to pursue his career with a good paying job.    I don't say any of this to embarrass him or to hurt him.   I say this because his situation is of no fault of his own; yet some have said things behind his back poking fun at him without any compassion or concern about what has happened.   His life changed through fate, not because he acted stupidly.

Carey Price - click to enlarge
Today is Tim's birthday - something that I celebrate here publicly each of the past few years with pride and love.   And each celebration of Tim's "day" has been done with tribute to that which means much to him.    There have been celebrations of men, of his favorite hockey player, Carey Price, and today's nod toward his beloved Siamese cat, Samantha, who was the love of his life during the last 17 plus years until she passed away earlier this year.

Those of you who have never had a pet can just skip this paragraph - you can't possibly understand the loss of a pet and the damage it does to your "heart".   I can't appeal to the stone cold selfishness of non-pet-lovers. 

Tim's Cat, Sam
Tim was despondent and rightfully missing of his Sam.   I've lost several pets and know the feeling of having your heart ripped out and wondering if you could have done something to save a life that you failed to do.   Those of us who have beloved fur balls that purr understand that they are far more than four legged creatures of which we caretake; these are emotional crutches when we are sad; these are play things when we are happy and we tantalize our kitty with string and catnip mice and other toys; these are the aspects of our lives where we talk oddly toward our kitty as only cat caretakers can talk.

In the time since Sam's passing, Tim has shared his sense that she's still around - a glimpse here or there out of the corner of his eye of a cat's presence - all attributes we cat caretakers have shared if we are honest with ourselves.

Thankfully over this past year, Tim has been prescribed a new medicine that has practically returned the old Tim to our lives and eliminated his blackouts.    I'm so proud of Tim for enduring an over decade long search for normalcy via prescription and continuing to push to find a medicinal resolution to his situation.    And now he is such a cool guy - so intelligent - so compassionate and caring for others - so sensitive - and thanks to his new medicine, the old Tim is there for our enjoyment.

I am not ashamed to say that every Friday we speak on the phone for several hours and that we share what is happening in our lives and our discussions meander through our lives and shared experiences; we aren't merely rubber stamp guys - we disagree on some things and share love of other things; but Tim is a most respectful man and he melts my heart (it is alleged I have none) because he is just that special guy that you meet once in a lifetime.    And for those who took it upon themselves to be mean to him or to intentionally seek to inflict pain upon him, I can only say your Karma bank is empty and Tim's is overflowing.    It is all your loss, dudes.   You spiteful, schmucks.

And so it is that my friend, Tim, has a birthday today and I celebrate his day with these wonderful kitty pictures (a useful pussy expose) and a virtual hug so tight it makes things grow.

I thank you for being a friend.    Whether we are Dorothy or Blanche or talking about Saint Olaf, we can always solve a problem over cheese cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment